All posts by Roger Inkpen

2016 Annual General Meeting

On the 21 April we had our AGM.  These are the minutes:

  1. Welcome and introduction by the Chairman.

Jon Spencer welcomed everyone to the Annual General meeting.

  1. Minutes of Annual General Meeting of 20 March 2015: They were approved without dissent.
  2. Matters arising from last AGM: None.
  3. Chairman’s Report 2016:  Jon highlighted the highs and lows of the year and thanked those who had given their support, time and financial contribution. The full text is published here:

Chair Report 1516

5. Treasurer’s report and accounts:

Roger presented the detailed accounts of the Forum.  Thanks to the increase in annual subscriptions from £5 to £10 last year we are on a much sounder financial footing, although there was a fall in members from 66 to 60.  This is being addressed by regular reminders for those who need to renew.  The report can be found on the website. The meeting approved the report without dissent.

PCF Accounts report 15-16

6. Elections:

Jon has been Chair for 3 years and is finding the commitment too much to bear.  He stood down and asked if there were any nominations for a replacement.  None was forthcoming so Jon has agreed to stay as interim Chair for 3 months.  He urged members to think about candidates and we will need an EGM to elect a new Chair.  Jon also asked for nominations for vice-chair and secretary.  Jon also explained a little about the roles.  No nominations were forthcoming and so both will need to be chosen at the EGM.  Roger was only candidate for Treasurer and was willing to continue.  Other roles for committee members were explained.

Chairman: Jon Spencer will continue for 3 months as interim.  Replacement to be decided at EGM.

Vice-chairman: to be decided at EGM.

Secretary: to be decided at EGM.

Treasurer: Roger Inkpen was the only nomination. He was elected

Notice: an EGM will need to be held by mid-July.          

7. Committee members: A communications officer is needed to co-ordinate posts for the website, Facebook, Twitter and chase stories for newsletters. Jon Riding agreed to take this role.  Roger will continue organising rides.  The following were sole nominations and were elected en bloc:

Joe McGannan John Holland
Mike Dobson Phil Kirkham
Tom Hart Nicola Waight
Jon Riding Jacek Kopecky
Matthew Winnington Ian Saunders

8. Close: The Chair thanked all for attending.

The AGM closed at 7.45pm.  This was followed by an exercise to follow-up the City to Share cycle strategy.  Feedback from this will be uploaded to the website.

Treasurer’s Report and Accounts 2014-15


These are the accounts for Portsmouth Cycle Forum, financial year ending 28 February 2015.

Portsmouth Cycle Forum Accounts

Income: Our regular income relies solely on subscriptions from paid-up members, with occasional one-off donations.

Members: Thanks to a much higher profile Facebook page, regular newsletters and media publicity, our paid membership grew from 36 to 66.

Costs: We try to keep our costs to a minimum, and we are grateful to the University of Portsmouth and the Southsea Coffee Co for free use of their facilities. On other occasions, such as this one, we have to pay for hall hire. Even with the free venues, hall hire is one of our greatest expenses. The City2Share strategy document was our single largest expense, although this was mostly covered by a crowd-funding appeal. We also have costs for printing posters and running the website. This means we have broken even this year, after two years of deficits.

Subscriptions: Subscriptions have not changed from £5 since we started, but with increased costs the committee agreed to raise the subs to £10 per year. Renewals can be made by cheque, cash or through Paypal via the Pompeybug website.


Subs/donations 651.20
Paypal income (net) 12.67

Total Income 663.87


Printing 327.83
Website 45.94
Hall hire 90.00
Subscriptions to CTC/CN 140.00
Travel (speaker) 45.00
Sundries 11.00

Total Expenditure 659.77

2014-15 surplus £4.10

Bank 193
Paypal 73

Current Assets £266 (from £262 in March 2014)

Roger Inkpen
Treasurer, Portsmouth Cycle Forum 12 March 2015

Sustrans National Cycle Network Update

If you live in the Portsmouth and Havant area you now have a choice of safe, well-marked cycle routes to Southsea and Hayling seafronts or up to the South Downs.  Roger Inkpen is a local ranger for Sustrans – the charity creating a national cycle network.  He says: “all of these routes follow cycle tracks, quiet city streets and country lanes, and are suitable for all types of riders – young, old, occasional or serious cyclist.  There are over 50 miles of routes marked out, all within a mile of where people live.
“The routes are all marked with Sustrans signs, fixed to existing signposts and fence posts.  Just follow the national cycle network number to your destination!”
If you would like to find more about cycle routes or volunteering with Sustrans visit and click on ‘Get Involved’.

Sustrans routes SEHants
NCN2, NCN22 and NCN222 are now complete. More work is needed on NCN236.

Our Cycling Manifesto

With local elections approaching we dusted off our Cycling Manifesto we sent out to councillors at the last elections in 2012.  Last time we only sent it to existing councillors with limited response, but this time we’ve updated it and sent it out to every candidate in every council ward – that’s 77 in all!  We also gave them a bit more time to respond and we’ll update you on this nearer the election.



Dear Councillor/Candidate

We seek your support for our Manifesto for better everyday cycling facilities in Portsmouth, for all ages, residents, workers and visitors.

Please would you be kind enough to let us know before the election what actions you would take to help Portsmouth Cycle Forum to achieve its goals.

We believe that the following would help to bring this about in Portsmouth:

  • Creation of a Strategic Green Cycle Network.
    • Corridors into the city centre.
    • Full signage of cycle routes.
  • Improved safety measures for cyclists in Portsmouth and Southsea.
    • Expanded use of cycling ‘contra flow’ systems.
    • Permitting cycling in Palmerston Road, Guildhall Walk and Commercial Road precincts outside business hours.
    • Expanding safe bike routes to schools.
  • Creation of liveable neighbourhoods.
    • Making local streets safer for walking and cycling.
    • A Cycling Charter.
  • Integration of bikes with public transport.
    • Promotion of ‘cycle & ride’ schemes.
    • Secure cycle parking at Rail and Bus stations.
  • Encourage cycling throughout Portsmouth.
    • Promote new activities i.e. cycling film festival, guided rides and events, adult cycle training.

We hope that you personally will send us a brief message of support for our Portsmouth Cycling Manifesto before the election on Thursday 15 May. Please do contact us if you have any queries at all.

Yours sincerely

Jon Spencer, Chair

Portsmouth Cycle Forum


Contact us: [email protected]

Treasurer’s Report and Accounts 2013-14


These are the accounts for Portsmouth Cycle Forum, financial year ending 28 February 2014.


Income:  Our regular income solely relies on subscriptions from paid-up members, with occasional one-off donations.

Members:  There has been a decrease in paid membership for this year – down to 36 from 39 the previous year.

Costs: Without a regular ‘free’ venue at the Guildhall we now have costs for holding meetings.  We are grateful to Mario and the University of Portsmouth Students Union for the use of their meeting room free of charge for our last two meetings.  Previously in the last year we made use of free community spaces but these were poorly attended.  The UPSU room was not available today and we have a £50 charge for the hire of this hall.  Other regular costs are for printing, website hosting and subscriptions for national cycling bodies.

Subscriptions:   For the next year membership subscriptions will remain at £5 (with no fee for concessions).  Renewals can be made by cheque, cash or through Paypal via the Pompeybug website.

Important Note:  We need to make a serious effort to convert subscribers on our mailing list to paid-up members.  If we are to make use of central locations we need to increase the number of membership subscriptions and donations to offset the costs.  Additional income will allow the Forum to expand its activities through promotion.


Subscriptions 2013-14                  149.68

Total Income                               149.68


Printing                                       148.70

Website                                       121.64

Hall hire                                        10.00

Subscriptions to CTC/CN               80.00

Total Expenditure                        360.34

2013-14 deficit                           £210.66


Bank                                            202

Paypal                                           60

Current Assets                          £262               (from £411 in March 2013)


Roger Inkpen

Treasurer, Portsmouth Cycle Forum 20 March 2014

Northern Road Bridge

Northern Road Bridge
Northern Road Bridge

If you’ve been hibernating over winter (and why not!) you might have missed the work on Northern Road Bridge in Cosham. Nobody is questioning the need to replace an ageing bridge over the railway line, but it is vital cyclists’ needs are considered when road works are being planned.

When we found out the road over the bridge would be open for buses, taxis and minicabs, with cyclists having to get off and walk with pedestrians, we queried this with Portsmouth City Council. The project team have been very willing to discuss our suggestions, including monitoring traffic flow to see if cycling could be allowed. They’ve also said they will consult with us on the best layout for the permanent cycle lane markings.

We’ve also discussed allowing two-way cycling in Cosham High Street, which has been turned into a one-way system. This is ‘temporary’ but we need to make sure that if it does become permanent then cyclists needs are catered for, avoiding making life difficult for those wanting to travel the ‘wrong’ way. Portsmouth City Council have committed to meet with PCF and discuss the future of the temporary one way system before the bridge works are completed.   We’ll keep you up-to-date with any news.

Portsmouth Cycle Forum at St Mary’s May Fayre

On the Bank holiday Monday Portsmouth Cycle Forum members Chris, Jayne, John, Pam and Roger went along to the popular May Fayre at St Mary’s Church in Fratton. It was wet all morning but we kept warm and dry at our stand inside! We spoke to loads of people – some committed cyclists, others lapsed; as well as non-cyclists.

It was a great opportunity to give information to experienced cyclists as well as encouragement to others, explain more about what we do as a Forum and talk about the Community Cycle Centre at Stacey Centre.

Our next event is at the Summer Fair in Victoria Park on 19 May. Come along – all support welcome!

The Times Cities safe for Cycling campaign

The Times has launched a public campaign and 8-point manifesto calling for cities to be made fit for cyclists:
Portsmouth Cycle Forum (PCF) calls on our MPs, city councillors and council officers to take note of the Cities safe for Cycling campaign launched by The Times. We welcome the positive response from the Department of Transport and ask them to put together policies and strategies to implement this 8-point plan, as listed below. As the voice for cyclists in Portsmouth, the Cycle Forum would like to assist our authorities and elected representatives, so we would like your comments.

1. Lorries entering a city centre should be required by law to fit sensors, audible turning alarms, extra mirrors and safety bars to stop cyclists being thrown under the wheels.

  • PCF: this would be a central government responsibility, but it is up to local leaders to influence national policy to take account of local needs.

2. The 500 most dangerous road junctions must be identified, redesigned or fitted with priority traffic lights for cyclists and Trixi mirrors that allow lorry drivers to see cyclists on their near-side.

  • PCF: we are sure our members and supporters could find a large number of such locations. The Forum will press Portsmouth City Council to identify and remedy the priorities.

3. A national audit of cycling to find out how many people cycle in Britain and how cyclists are killed or injured should be held to underpin effective cycle safety.

  • PCF: again, this is a national policy but PCC could undertake such a task locally.

4. Two per cent of the Highways Agency budget should be earmarked for next generation cycle routes, providing £100 million a year towards world-class cycling infrastructure. Each year cities should be graded on the quality of cycling provision.

  • PCF: we support this although motorists may need to be reminded that such a budget would be taken from general taxation, not just ‘road taxes’.

5. The training of cyclists and drivers must improve and cycle safety should become a core part of the driving test.

  • PCF: more cyclists training is welcome, but should not be seen as a necessity. The government is improving the driving test to take more account of cyclists.

6. 20mph should become the default speed limit in residential areas where there are no cycle lanes.

  • PCF: this has of course been implemented in Portsmouth, although it still requires policing.

7. Businesses should be invited to sponsor cycleways and cycling super-highways, mirroring the Barclays-backed bicycle hire scheme in London.

  • PCF: this may be worth exploring, but is probably not realistic in the current economic climate.

8. Every city, even those without an elected mayor, should appoint a cycling commissioner to push home reforms.

  • PCF: the city council has a councillor appointed as ‘cycling champion’ for some years, but this has not been successful. However we would welcome a new initiative to appoint a councillor genuinely interested in promoting cycling.